Mobile Feeding Units continue to provide food, hydration and emotional and spiritual care to those affected by the tornadoes that swept through Central Arkansas on Sunday evening.
National Weather Service officials announced today the tornado started West of Ferndale and ended in El Paso. It was on the ground for 41.3 miles and lasted over an hour. This tornado was at maximum strength near Downtown Vilonia. Information on the EF-4 rating states that its winds are estimated at 166-200 miles per hour.
Homes and businesses throughout Faulkner County and West Pulaski County suffered serious and at times, catastrophic damage. Captain David Robinson, Corps Officer of The Conway Salvation Army states “Down each of these roads is a home or a neighborhood that is struggling to rebuild. We want them to know that we are here for them for as long as we are needed.”
On one stop, there was a home completely devastated and abandoned, and another with roof damage, downed trees, and destroyed vehicles. Salvation Army feeding teams found a group of neighbors helping the residents’ clear away brush and collect the family’s personal items that littered the yard. Captain Robinson embraced the family with prayer and gave the group a much needed meal.
As of this Wednesday night, The Salvation Army has provided 3,642 prepared meals, 4,065 drinks and 2,304 snacks. Over 80 individuals/families have been provided emotional and spiritual care.
On Thursday, The Salvation Army will deploy five canteens to the following locations:
- West Little Rock – Kanis Command Post, 34106 Kanis Road
- 2 roving canteens servicing affected areas in Vilonia and 2 roving canteen serving affected area in Mayflower
Volunteers: There are two Volunteer Reception Centers (VRCs) now open in Faulkner County:
Vilonia Primary School
#4 Bane Lane
10 Leslie King Drive
Monetary donations continue to be the most critical need.
- Donors are encouraged to give online at www.SalvationArmyUSA.org or by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769).
- You can also text the word “STORM” to 80888 to make a $10 donation through your mobile phone; to confirm your gift, respond with the word “Yes.”*
- Donations in the form of checks designated to Tornado Relief may also be mailed to:
The Salvation Army Disaster Relief
P.O. Box 1959
Atlanta, GA 30301